How to interview candidates in the right way ?
Many factors are critical to a company's success. However, a big slice of the pie goes to abilities in recruitment - or in other words, knowing how to hire the best people for the jobs available.
Selecting, motivating, developing and retaining top employees is definitely a hard process. It is also a process which is tightly connected to the success of the company - and that is why it is extremely important. Hiring people with enthusiasm, engagement to work and simply greatness in what they do is difficult from a point of an interview.
This will teach you how to prepare for a job interview on your side - as well as which aspects to focus on and which questions to ask.
We have created 2 bullet lists to guide you through the process of successful job interviews:
The Key Points to Effectiveness:
- staying focused and conscious during the interview
- overcoming emotions and focus on maximum control
- listening at least 80% of the time
Some of the proven recruitment formulas follow:
- job skills + people skills = a successful work behavior
- past behavior = future behavior
And now you may be asking - how to prepare and what to focus on throughout the interview?
Apart from these short bullet lists, we also examined the way of preparing for a successful and effective interview. In order to be ready for anything and everything - and get the best results from a single interview, one should do as following:
- Job Analysis - Find out the candidate's most critical competencies, experience and knowledge
- Create your pitch - of the exact job description for the interview
- Read and observe information from candidate's resume and reference letters
- Decide the duration time - which should be less than an hour
- Write job specific questions (technical)
- Write emotional intelligence competency questions (ex. 'How would you react if...?';' Can you tell me a time when you experienced...?' etc.)
- Indicate problem behavior question (ex. 'What was the problem that got you fired?' etc.)
The Interviewing Process
During the interviewing process, you should do the following:
- Ask for specific job skills and education competency questions you prepared
- Ask interpersonal skills competency questions - to find out the EQ (emotional intelligence). Remember, in most of the cases these questions are 70% of the decision you'll make!
- Take notes on the answers and potential problem behaviors
- Take notes on career development as well
- Call references
Complete a hiring rating sheet with ratings on general impressions
All in all, making good hiring decisions is a result of great preparation and proper research. Additionally, it is also a matter of how the job description will be posted.
However, for the best candidates who will apply - it is your responsibility to dig deeper and explore the emotional aspect of their character.